The CLC hosts a rotating program of tutoring opportunities that match families with CSU Education students as tutors. All CSU students engage in tutoring as a part of their scheduled coursework and teacher training. Tutoring programs are offered in the Fall and Spring semesters, as well as during CSU’s Summer terms, and include assessment and instruction in reading, phonics, and mathematics. The majority of CLC tutoring is provided to families free of charge, with the exception of some summer programs.
In Person and Remote Learning Opportunuties
We offer individualized assessment and instructional services for children and youth pre-K-12. Sessions can range between 30 minutes-one hour in duration and typically run 15 weeks during the academic year. Six-week summer sessions may also be available. We offer in person sessions at our center in 130 Julka Hall on the Cleveland State University campus as well as remote learning sessions via Zoom. Students participating in remote tutoring need a reliable device, internet connection, and physical space free from distractions. An initial parent orientation is required to ensure accessibility to the platform. Please visit https://cehs.csuohio.edu/center/clc-family-intake-form to enroll children in our tutoring programs.
**The Community Learning Center is currently offering remote tutoring ONLY**
When space is available, the CLC hosts a volunteer tutoring program which provides CSU students with volunteer opportunities in the field of Education and Cleveland families with free tutoring, mentoring, and homework help.
- Educational and Developmental assessments available for one-week checkout
- Leveled children’s literature and Guided Reading Program resources available for one-week checkout
- Book in the Bags (a kit including a book and specialized activities) available for two-week checkout
- A wide collection of educational games and manipulatives for one-night checkout
- Free handouts about community resources
- Five computers with Internet and Intranet available for student use
- iPads and Nooks to use during tutoring sessions
- Comfortable, private study rooms (as space is available)
Central Area Tutoring Program
Through the generosity of Steve Kimmelman, BBA '80, we have recently developed a math and reading tutoring program serving 1st-3rd graders at Marion Sterling Elementary.
Ma'Taya Hammond and Amier Itayem at work at Marion Sterling Elementary.